You Have To Be Recognized To Get Help

If you’ve sought help from a mental health professional (MHP) and didn’t get what you needed this may shed some light. As of my July 2015 review of the California Board of Behavioral Sciences website, I do not see that there is an academic requirement to study adult ADHD in the licensure track for Licensed Marriage Family Therapist (LMFT), Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC) or Licensed Educational Psychologist (LEP). This specialty may be offered as an elective, depending on the university attended.

This lack of educational requirement leads me to believe that LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs have very little or no working knowledge or specialized training in addressing the serious issues of adults living with ADHD. Furthermore, the general public is not aware of this lack.

In the U.S., about 60 percent or 6 out of 10 ADHD children grow up to be ADHD adults, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America.

Continue Reading...